different levels

New features, feature requests, compliments etc
Frizzping

different levels

Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:04 pm

Hi I can only access puzzle donkey via my phone ..
Is the new format solve each puzzle then move on to next ? Ir can I choose different puzzles to solve like the old puzzle donkey ?

gordon

Re: different levels

Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:35 pm

The new format is actually the old format.

Facebook PuzzleDonkey let you choose which puzzle you wanted to solve. But Facebook PuzzleDonkey wasn't the original old PD (the FAQ may offer some clarity here ... or it might not).

With the original old PD, you had to solve each puzzle in turn and you couldn't see the next puzzle until you'd solved the last one you got stuck on. So, unfortunately, you will have to solve them one at a time.

Frizzping

Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:40 pm

Oh :roll: I may never sleep again !
will you ever change the format back to displaying all the levels and attempting what ever takes your fancy ?
Oh puzzle donkey drove us mad for months !!!! Years!!!!
And I nipped on every now and then to revisit different ones that were still in my brain ....
It's not as satisfying one at a time ....
Please change it back ...( like it's an easy thing for you to do)
Thanks for your quick reply too ☺️

gordon

Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:29 am

I'm not actually responsible for the site (it'll be up to rich and SimonG if they want to change the format for the next contest), although I did help moderate the forum for a while way back when.

I do vaguely recall that when they changed the format with the Facebook app, some people preferred it while others preferred the older one-at-a-time approach simply because it gave you a single puzzle to focus on ... even though you could end up spending weeks or months focusing on it. But then, the forum is here to help when you do get stuck.

rich
Site Admin

Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:09 pm

Thanks for your thoughts. It's a difficult one. As Gordon says - some people preferred it the old way, some preferred it the FaceBook way. When we reinstalled this site last Summer we made the decision to bring back the nostalgia of the first PD and do it that way. We could look at it again though, when we have a moment.
Quiz? What quiz?
follow me now!

rich
Site Admin

Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:09 pm

Thanks for your thoughts. It's a difficult one. As Gordon says - some people preferred it the old way, some preferred it the FaceBook way. When we reinstalled this site last Summer we made the decision to bring back the nostalgia of the first PD and do it that way. We could look at it again though, when we have a moment.
Quiz? What quiz?
follow me now!

rich
Site Admin

Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:10 pm

(no idea why that came out twice, nor why I am unable to delete the duplicate...)
Quiz? What quiz?
follow me now!

WickedPlans

Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:20 pm

I remember that I first discovered Puzzle Donkey when PD4 was released, so I spent a considerable amount of time working on all 4 at the same time, switching between them as I got stuck. That was pretty good. But I wouldn't like to be able to see all of the puzzles at the same time, I think that would spoil it a bit. I love that feeling you get when you solve a puzzle and the next one is revealed.

juniper

Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:14 pm

I'm with WickedPlans. I sometimes hate not being able to solve one, but I do like the way I can't move on until I have solved it. It's frustrating sometimes, but you get a real sense of achievement when you get the correct answer and can then move on.

I didn't do PD on Facebook though (I wish I'd known it existed on FB!) I only played the original games. I wouldn't like to be able to see all the puzzles.

gordon

Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:11 pm

One possible compromise approach: you start off with the first three (for example) puzzles accessible, and new puzzles become accessible as earlier ones are solved.

So, you start being able to see 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3. Then, if you solve 1.2 first, you gain access to 1.4 with 1.1, 1.3 and 1.4 now to solve. Then you solve 1.3 and you get 1.5. So you can only ever see three unsolved puzzles at most. But you'll still need to complete all of the puzzles to complete the challenge. You could perhaps require us to solve all the puzzles in a round before moving on as well.

If you get stuck on a single puzzle, you don't end up losing interest and leaving the site behind. But you still get the buzz of seeing new puzzles as you solve old ones.

Return to “The Site”