not a clue

Mort

Re: not a clue

Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:59 pm

I've read this whole thread and I still don't understand what I am looking at ir trying to achieve. IT's random letters in a grid, am I just trying to get a phrase out of it like the other ones?

Crispy

Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:12 pm

The only way to find the original string (and hence enter it backwards) is to work out correct path through the grid. Remembering that coloured squares don't contain contiguous letters in the string greatly reduces the number of possible paths.

I heartily recommend the draw on puzzle function for this one. Start with the four coloured squares.
Chris 'Crispy' Philpot :)
Follow me on Twitter · Visit my website

"Banging my head on the desk thanks to PuzzleDonkey since 2005"

Mikesurtees

Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:02 pm

confused. can someone clear up one thing: are the letters in the grid in the correct place or are they scrambled? if they are scrambled I don't see how we have enough information to solve it, as the letters could be anywhere. yes we have the coloured squares but if they can be any of the letters this doesn't help!

If on the other hand the letters are in the correct places, with only four coloured squares there are lots of possible paths, quickly ending up with words like "eh", and what is one supposed to do with three "N"s together?

:/

HellZiggy

Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:09 am

Yeah, I'm still stuck as all get out on this one. With only the two sets of colored squares I know the string has to start on BR and end on EH, or the reverse, HE to start and RB to end, but there are so many other options for the rest of the string, and I can't get any legible words out of it no matter how I try.

Talis

Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:34 am

I found there weren't /that/ many options - try drawing out the paths and then transposing the letters. This one is very hard to do 'by eye'.

- T

Crispy

Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:06 am

HellZiggy wrote:I know the string has to start on BR and end on EH, or the reverse, HE to start and RB to end

Given the resulting phrase is likely to pose a question or give a piece of trivia, which is more likely?
Chris 'Crispy' Philpot :)
Follow me on Twitter · Visit my website

"Banging my head on the desk thanks to PuzzleDonkey since 2005"

HellZiggy

Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:25 pm

try drawing out the paths and then transposing the letters.

So, figure out which possible path, and then rearrange letters on that path? You're killing me Donkey! (Not to mention killing productivity at work... :lol: )

SimonG

Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:34 pm

If you can make an education guess as to what the second word might be, it all falls into place surprisingly easily

Steveoh

Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:50 pm

HellZiggy wrote:Yeah, I'm still stuck as all get out on this one. With only the two sets of colored squares I know the string has to start on BR and end on EH, or the reverse, HE to start and RB to end, but there are so many other options for the rest of the string, and I can't get any legible words out of it no matter how I try.

Check your logic here..

And I f you're who I think you are get back to work... If not then carry on..

mehroon

Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:28 pm

Unable to understand. Should I write the reverse string or find the answer to what the letters make? I still can't get the sentence the letters make. A hint needed

Return to “Puzzle 17 - pu ti hcnurcS”